Subject: Re: Hey, buddy, you wanna be famous?
To: None <hackers@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Jon Cargille <jcargill@cs.wisc.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/07/1993 19:00:47
[ FYI, also sent to freebsd-hackers the first time, but the address for
netbsd-users was wrong... ]

   From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@whisker.lotus.ie>
   Date: Sat, 06 Nov 1993 12:41:14 -0800

   > [ ... survey idea ... ]
   >
   > Is this in reaction to my post?

   Partially, though this idea has been rattling around in my brain, like
   a marble in an oil drum, for some time.

It's pretty scary, but I find myself having thoughts identical to
those of Jordan and Terry again.  I've gotta stop that.  ;-)

I've actually been planning for several weeks to do a comprehensive
386bsd-user Survey, and thinking "someone should do this" for even
longer.

Unlike Terry, though, I think it would be interested for it to be more
of a "Census", where everyone (who will cooperate ;-)  gets counted.
It would be an interesting benchmark to compare over time, to see how
the user community changes: in terms of application, hardware, and
such.

Unfortunately, other things have kept me busy the past couple of
weeks, so if someone else runs with the idea, so much the better.  If
no one else does, I'll definitely do it in a few weeks...

   I'm still thinking a bit about
   it myself (how to prepare the form with the right "UPC" codes in certain
   places to make sure that an automated chewing program gets all the
   data out).

I've still got some of this "automated" stuff sitting around from the
last 386bsd-survey I did last summer...  ;-)  But it's not in shape to
give to anyone, since it was a hodge-podge of elisp code...

Jon