Subject: i960 revisited
To: None <netbsd-ports@netbsd.org>
From: Iggy Drougge <optimus@canit.se>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 04/29/2003 20:29:46
I found a lot of Neoware thin clients on eBay, and intrigued, I
googled to find them mentioned a whole ago on this list. Then, their
portability was rejected on the basis of the scarce availability of
MMU equipped i960s. However, I researched (googled) some more, and I
think that there is a chance of the later i960 equipped @workStation
and NeoStation 500 having got an MMU. One indication is the fact that
they run a POSIX compatible (or so they say) OS, called NetOS, which
amongst other features have got a native Netscape and Java.
Another indication is that the release notes for an early version of
NetOS mentions support for i960Hx processors. The Intel i960 pages
mention that the i960Hx series have got guarded memory support, which
to me sounds like an MMU. The speeds of the later stations also
corresponds to the top-of-the-range i960s, which would be the Hx
series.
Someone who has actually got one of these might be tempted to have a
look at the innards and correct me.

Also of note, the NeoStation 200 has got a PowerPC 821 processor. Is
this one of the braindamaged PPCs?

--
En ligne avec IMHO webmail v0.98.2

Amiga 4000 25MHz/64MO/20GO/FastlaneZ3/RetinaBLTZ3/Ariadne
HP Visualize C180
Tatung SuperCOMPstation 20S
SUN Sparcstation 10
DECstation 5000/200