Subject: Re: IBM SP2 9056 (two thin nodes, POWER arch)
To: NetBSD Ports Discussion List <netbsd-ports@netbsd.org>
From: None <dokas@cs.umn.edu>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 04/09/2001 12:06:47
On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 08:49:40PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> If the power supply on Lyndon's beast really requires three-phase input
> directly then he'll probably have to replace it.  However some IBM gear
> I've seen expects single-phase 208vac (eg. AS-400 servers and such),
> which is the voltage you'd get if you fed it a single phase of the
> output of a three-phase step down transformer.  Some such gear will work
> just fine with 240vac too, though one would want to understand the
> specifications and requirements of the power supply very well before
> just plugging it into a 240vac wall socket.  :-)

It's 3 phase.  I know because I've got 3 frames of thin, wide and 8 CPU
PowerPC high nodes sitting down the hall from me that I installed.  You
should see the "plug" for these things.  They're rather impressive.

BTW, my SP is currently turned off for various reasons.  I'd be willing
to help port NetBSD at least the 4 high nodes.  Each of them has:

   8 233MHz PowerPC CPUS
   4 GB RAM
   18+ GB disk (I don't remember exactly how much)

I've also got 4 wide, 10 thin and 2 fast thin nodes.  All with Power2
CPUs, and at least 256MB of memory.  And, I've also got IBM's SP high
speed switch (it's a 100MByte/sec crossbar switch with special cards
and cables).

I don't have much in the way of documentation, nor to I have much time.
But I am willing to try booting images over the network.

Paul
--
Paul Dokas                                            dokas@cs.umn.edu
Don Juan Matus:  "an enigma wrapped in mystery wrapped in a tortilla."