Subject: Re: Are ICL DRS servers supported by NetBSD?
To: Andrew Shugg <andrew@neep.com.au>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 07/15/2000 13:08:22
On Sat, 1 Jul 2000, Andrew Shugg wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if it is possible to run NetBSD on the ICL DRS 400,
> which I am told is based on a Motorola CPU (possibly the 68k).
>
> I currently have two of these systems with a door on top of them, acting
> faithfully as pair of heavy-duty table legs to hold up a few computer
> systems and a printer.  =)
>
> The systems in question haven't been booted since I obtained them, but
> apparently they run Tahoe (sp?) BSD.  I don't know anything more about
> the architecture, except that they have a SCSI controller and a thick
> ethernet network interface.  They also weigh an estimated 35kg each.  =)
>
> ICL unforunately no longer seem to know about these old clunkers - I've
> searched their websites and scoured with world with Google but without
> any success.
>
> If anyone knows anything at all about these old systems, or knows of
> anyone who has managed to get NetBSD to boot on one, I'd appreciate
> hearing about it.

	I don't believe anyone is working on a port. If you have the
	source for Tahoe then it shouldn't be particularly difficult
	(as ports go :) to get NetBSD up and running.

	It might be worth opening one up and taking an inventory of
	the larger chips on the boards - if the CPU is pre 68020
	then you could be in for a world of..uh, 'fun'.

                David/absolute
			       -- www.netbsd.org: A pmap for every occasion --