Subject: Re: PRIME 6450
To: Nate 'Dr. Octagon' Gelbard <gelbardn@grawk.net>
From: Don Koch <aardvark@krl.com>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 05/23/2000 21:55:08

gelbardn@grawk.net said:
> They seem to be dual processor, but of what type, I dont know. They're
> from 1990.

Primes are a proprietary architecture.  I'd start with the 4150 you have
(providing that you're picking up that box, too; saw a picture of it
in your web page).  The 4150 runs on 110; whereas, the 6450 needs 3 phase.

I know of one person who has started a port, but I'm not sure how active
he has been with it lately.  I forwarded your mail on to him.

abs@netbsd.org said:
> 	Do you have any infor on the actual CPU and memory architecture?
> 	If it really is a machine where NULL != 0 in a hardware sense then
> 	you're in for a world of fun :)

Well, NULL can be 0.  By tradition, it was 7777/0 (=0x0fff0000).  Memory is
hard segmented, 16-bit word addressed with a somewhat bizarre way of doing
byte addressing in I-mode, one of the 4 basic instruction sets.  It does
offer a ring memory protection scheme, though.

I still have a working 4150 in the basement.

-d