Subject: RE: GameBoy Port
To: NetBSD Ports Discussion List <netbsd-ports@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 02/28/2000 19:12:15
[ On Monday, February 28, 2000 at 16:32:00 (-0600), John A. Maier wrote: ]
> Subject: RE: GameBoy Port
>
> The Z8000 was Zilogs answer to the 286/386 but with Z80 looking registers
> and instruction, though they were machine code incompatible.  It was
> limited to 4Megs if memory servers me correctly with seperate code and
> data space so you could go up to 8Megs.  I think it actually had a
> protected mode of operation, so in theory...NetBSD for Z8000 sounds
> interesting...

IIRC the Z8000 was still pretty useless for a VM OS, but the Z8002 was a
potential choice....

> I remember reading about it, but I know nothing about it.  I remember
> reading about a multi-user unixish Z80 system around 1984, but it had no
> TCP and rather limited functionality.
>
> Charles Moore, of Forth fame, had a multi-user Z80 based computer in the
> mid 80's that was rumored to be amazing.  Seems that it could
> functionally do most everything a PDP-11 could do with only 64K!

Yup, pretty cool it was!  There were several similar competitors too IIRC.

I know someone who still might have some of the manuals, if not a
mothballed system....

It still couldn't do VM though -- just swapping.  Some variant systems
didn't really protect user-level processes from each other either (just
as some incarnations of Unix on x86 didn't either).

--
							Greg A. Woods