Subject: Re: Squid on Alpha blows up..
To: Paul <buehler@skycache.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 03/02/1999 14:39:49
On Tue, 2 Mar 1999 16:59:07 -0500 (EST)
 Paul <buehler@skycache.com> wrote:

 > 164LX Alpha running netbsd-CURRENT
 >

 > Squid compiles clean. Adding traffic to the cache generates
 > these errors. Any configure or compile options I can use to
 > fix this?
 >
 > pid 7134 (squid): unaligned access: va=0x1201cdb19 pc=0x12003e0fc

Well, it's not exactly "blowing up".  It continues to run...

What it's telling you is that the program is poorly written, and attempts
to do int/long/long long access on boundaries that are not sizeof(int),
sizeof(long), sizeof(long long) respectively.

The "va" is the address it tried to access, the "pc" is the location in
the program where this happened.  You can use this to figure out where
the program is doing this, and fix it.

That message is generated by the kernel when the kernel performs a fixup
on the access.  Fixing it will not only make the messages go away, but
will greatly improve the performance, as well (as the kernel won't have
to fixup the access for you).