Subject: Acorn Archimedes port?
To: None <netbsd-ports@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@cam.ac.uk>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 04/07/1998 18:49:51
I've finally got around to ordering an 8Mb upgrade for my old A3000, which
means it's now an almost viable machine to run a Unixoid on.  I know Linux
will run on it already, but I'd rather have NetBSD (it's what all my other
machines run).  I've alrady got the Technical Reference Manual, and I've
managed to extract the data sheets for the most of the old
ARM/MEMC/IOC/VIDC chipsets from ARM Ltd (once they'd found them).  I
think I understand the machine pretty well, and I have half a clue what
goes on in the depths of an operating system.  In short, I think I'm in a
position to start porting NetBSD to this silly thing.  What now?

In case you're curious, these machines can't run NetBSD/arm32, because the
ARM2 and ARM3 don't have 32-bit mode.  They're restricted to a 26-bit
address bus, and have a slightly different register model.  The MMU in the
older machines is different too, being a separate chip (or several) (the
MEMC).

Anyway, can anyone tell me if anyone else is working on this, and if not,
whether there's anything I should do before I get out my Emacs and start
hacking?

Thanks in advance.

--
Ben Harris
Computer Officer, Corpus Christi College, Cambridge.