Subject: Re: SGI port?
To: None <netbsd-ports@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 06/27/1997 10:36:04
> [...] SGI port [...]

> Is there general interest in such a port?

Depending on which SGI hardware you're talking about, definitely.  I
know a lab that's got a bunch of Personal Irises that are being
orphaned by SGI (we've been told 5.3 will be the last release that
supports them).  They're the most important ones, but I'd really love
to have a _real_ OS to run on the SGI hardware.

Unfortunately SGI is yet another computer company that's walked down
the "solutions" path of good intentions.  I see it over and over: a
company starts selling computers and does well, then some suit decides
they need to change their focus and they start selling "solutions"
instead and the company goes all to hell.  It's happened to DEC, it's
happened to Sun, and I don't know if SGI ever was selling just
computers, but if so, it's definitely happened to them.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca