Subject: Re: NetBSD on the BeBox?
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
From: Michael K. Sanders <msanders@confusion.net>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 12/13/1995 18:20:45
In message <199512132216.RAA18024@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>, Allen
Briggs writes:
>I'd be interested in working on a port if they do have the systems and
>documentation available at little or no cost.  I already have plans for
>my PowerMac.  I'm more interested in Be's future CHRP (PPCP) systems.

The developer program offers:

'no-frills' $800
  developer program membership
  base level BeBox (no RAM or peripherals)
  Be system software on CDROM
  Be libraries and headers for Mac CodeWarrior
  One copy of all development documentation

'preconfigured' $1700 -- the above, plus:
  16MB RAM (2 8MB 60ns SIMMs)
  #9 GXE64 PCI accelerated graphics card (1MB version)
  Keyboard and Mouse
  Floppy drive
  340MB IDE drive with OS installed
  Ethernet card (10bT/10b2, generic ISA NE2000)
  2x CDROM drive (IDE)

If someone from the NetBSD Foundation were to contact them soon, one
or more systems would probably be donated-- to quote C.K. Haun ("The
Developer Guy at Be"):

  Other efforts will be evaluated on a case by case, and
  a "Geez, we don't have many machines left!" by case basis.

>> NetBeSD
>
>-smirk-  Do you have any "inside" contact information for them?  Is
>anyone else looking into this?

A friend of a friend just left SGI to go work for Be, but he hasn't
been there very long so it's not much of a contact. C.K. Haun has been
quite responsive to my inquiries of dev@be.com, though.

:: Mike ::

--
	       Michael K. Sanders :: msanders@confusion.net
      Free your system and your mind will follow. NetBSD, free UN*X.

 The Confusion Network :: Creating Chaos out of Anarchy for a Better Tomorrow
    cut these eyes and i will see