Subject: Re: PowerPC
To: Ken Nakata <kxn3796@hertz.njit.edu>
From: Rob Windsor <windsor@ksu.ksu.edu>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 11/29/1994 00:09:15
Verily did Ken Nakata write:
>    From: Joachim Isaksson <ic@ludd.luth.se>
>    Date: Mon, 28 Nov 1994 22:03:07 +0100 (MET)

>    >> Just [...] wondering if anyone has been thinking about/
>    >> started a PowerPC port of NetBSD.

> I also hear that Motorola *is* actually selling PReP compliant 601/604
> motherboards (a 604 motherboard is about $1,200- with loaded devices
> like builtin video, SCSI-2 port, serial ports, and possibly Ethernet,
> according to an article posted on comp.sys.mac.hardware or something,
> which would make a full system just about $3,000 or so).

> I'll dig up the article if anyone is interested in these PReP mother-
> boards.

Try http://power.globalnews.com/articles/4995.htm for the scoop on
purchasing the PowerPC 601 System Design Kit (includes the motherboard)
from IBM.

You can also have the info e-mailed to you.. here's a cut from the index
that says how:

---------------------- snip! ----------------------
TO RETRIEVE FULL TEXT OF ITEMS IN POWERPC NEWS
Send an e-mail message to  news@power.globalnews.com
     Place in the SUBJECT of your message the item numbers of the items
     you wish to receive. For example:
            To: news@power.globalnews.com
       Subject: 1000 1008 3000
            Your e-mail address will be picked up automatically.

TO GET A BACK-ISSUE INDEX, SELECT STORY 6500

            *** ANY TEXT IN THE MESSAGE IS IGNORED ***

btw: if you didn't catch it, the article # for the "601 Sys Des Kit" is
     4995.    :>

And, one final note... mail to remove@power.globalnews.com didn't work
for me about a month ago.  I mailed the sysadmin about it, but didn't
see any improvement two weeks later...

-- Rob
Internet: windsor@ksu.ksu.edu      Life: Rob@Manhattan.Kansas.USA.Earth

"Life's a journey, not a destination."  -- Aerosmith (1993), 'Amazing'