Subject: Re: Shared libraries on m68k machines
To: None <netbsd-ports@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Paul Mackerras <Paul.Mackerras@cs.anu.edu.au>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 11/24/1993 13:18:35
rhealey@aggregate.com writes:
> 	Umm, might want to wait a bit to sync up with the other m68k
> 	ports so the various m68k ports aren't duplicating code
> 	unnecessarily. It looked like alot of it was gcc related and
> 	some of the m68k ports, Amiga for one, have at least some
> 	gcc 2.4.5 PIC support already, I know gcc 2.5.4 certainly has
> 	full PIC support for both MIT and MOTOROLA syntax.

1. At this level, the code for all the m68k-based ports *should* be the
same, and there should be only one copy of it (not N for N ports).
My previous post to this list suggested how we might do this.

2. gcc2 in NetBSD is basically gcc-2.4.5.  Basically all I did to gcc2
was to modify the PIC code generation slightly.  If gcc-2.5.4 has this
already, that's fine - I haven't looked at gcc-2.5.4 yet.