NetBSD-News archive

Ghost for Unix (g4u) Version 2.0 released

 * Ghost for Unix (g4u) Version 2.0 released

I'm happy to announce the release of g4u version 2.0 today. g4u ("ghost for unix") is a NetBSD-based bootfloppy/CD-ROM that allows easy cloning of PC harddisks to deploy a common setup on a number of PCs using FTP. The floppy/CD offers two functions. The first is to upload the compressed image of a local harddisk to a FTP server, the other is to restore that image via FTP, uncompress it and write it back to disk. Network configuration is fetched via DHCP. As the harddisk is processed as a image, any filesystem and operating system can be deployed using g4u. Easy cloning of local disks as well as partitions is also supported.

After removing drivers in each new release to accommodate growth in other areas of the code, the major new feature of g4u 2.0 is that there are two versions new: a CDROM-version (which can also be used on DVD), and a TWO-floppy-version (consisting of, well, TWO floppies, instead of the one used so far)! When booting the floppy version, it will load the first floppy, then ask for the second one. Press RETURN, and it will load the second floppy.

This change allows adding back all the drivers remove in the past:

    * The wscons console driver, which allows using USB keyboards
    * SATA drives (drivers updated)
    * I2O devices
    * CS8900 (ISA) Ethernet
    * Alteon ACEnic gigabit Ethernet
    * PCMCIA and Cardbus drivers for SCSI, IDE and a *lot* of ethernet and
      wireless network cards.
    * Fiber Channel drivers for your SAN!
    * Hardware RAID drivers: Adaptec AAC family, AMI/LSI Logic MegaRAID,
      Compaq PCI array controllers, ICP-Vortex GDT and Intel RAID, Mylex
      DAC960 & DEC SWXCR family and 3ware Escalade RAID controllers. Whee!
    * Wireless LAN cards: Aironet PC4500/PC4800, Atheros 5210/5211/5212,
      ADMtek ADM8211, Intersil Prism Mini-PCI.
    * Token Ring drivers for both PCMCIA and ISA IBM/3COM TROPIC cards

Besides all these drivers which were previously removed from g4u and now added back, be sure to check out the full list of supported hardware, including more wavelan cards, gigabit ethernet and SATA drives! (See http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/#hw)

Another minor addition made in this release is the 'copypart' program, which can be used to, well, copy single partitions locally. See Copying a partition locally at http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/#copypart for more information.

So, this all sounds like christmas? That's a bit away, but maybe you want to donate a bit so I can buy myself and my beloved some nice present (and maybe even one that allows me to do a port of g4u to an Apple PowerBook G4? *hint, hint*)? ;)

Those that want to do some good not only to me but to themselves and their beloved too can now aquire an optional commercial license for g4u. g4u will remain free to use for both private and commercial users, but I've received many requests for commercial licenses, and here they are!
See http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/commercial.html for the details.