Subject: Announcing g4u 1.16
To: None <netbsd-news@netbsd.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: netbsd-news
Date: 06/30/2004 01:12:46
 * g4u V1.16 has been released

This announce lets you know of the latest release of my harddisk image
cloning utility "g4u". g4u ("ghost for unix") is a NetBSD-based
bootfloppy/CD-ROM that allows easy cloning of PC harddisks to deploy a
common setup on a number of PCs using FTP. The floppy/CD offers two
functions. First is to upload the compressed image of a local harddisk to
a FTP server. Other is to restore that image via FTP, uncompress it and
write it back to disk; network configuration is fetched via DHCP. As the
harddisk is processed as a image, any filesystem and operating system can
be deployed using g4u. Easy cloning of local disks as well as partitions
is also supported, restore from CD/DVD is under development.

The most important item in g4u 1.16 is that "copydisk" was fixed, which I
broke while adding the progress bar code. Default GZIP level when calling
uploaddisk and uploadpart with no argument is documented, I've shaved more
space from the config by going for the generic PCIIDE driver (only; please
let me know if this made things a lot slower and if it killed SATA-support
esp. if enabling IDE in your BIOS won't help - and send me a SATA-equipped
machine to test this in the future! :-), removed 'rnd', gave the kernel a
fixed device to start from (the ramdisk), removed COMPAT_*. I've replaced
console driver - you may need to turn on support for USB keyboards in your
BIOS!

For more information, downloads etc. see

	http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/

 - Hubert Feyrer

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>