NetBSD-Java archive

unpriviledged user problems and java

Hello,
        I am having problems building anything that requires java 1.3.
Working with pkgsrc as an upriviledged user, when I try to make/make
install Ant, I
get 100 errors similar to:
src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/Project.java:71: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class DefaultInputHandler
location: package input
import org.apache.tools.ant.input.DefaultInputHandler;
                                  ^
I have checked in $WRKSRC/org/apache/tools/ant/input/ and the
DefaultInputHandler.java file is there.  I have tried setting my
classpath to include
/$HOME/tmp/devel/apache-ant/work.stachys/apache-ant-1.5.4/src/
to no avail.  When I setup the old jdk 1.1 and do a make install on
Ant it successfully completes.
I would be very grateful for any help anyone could provide.
Thank you,
David