Subject: Problems routing packets...
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Rich Neswold <rich.neswold@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/26/2007 22:53:03
Hello,

Over Christmas, our family acquired a Wii. It connected to our
wireless network easily enough, but it couldn't register itself
online. Our DSL/router box is an older PC running NetBSD 3.1, so I
thought I would use it to diagnose the problem.

'tcpdump' shows that the Wii tries to access an HTTPS server at
125.199.254.49. It also shows that trying to connect to this address
results in an ICMP packet getting returned indicating "Destination
Host Unreachable". It turns out that no machine in my house can ping -
or otherwise access - 125.199.254.49. I checked the firewall logfile
and didn't see any packets getting blocked. 'tcpdump' shows pings
entering the household interface, but not ever leaving the pppoe
interface.

It almost seem like NetBSD is mis-routing the packet, I've looked at
netstat and route to check statistics, but according to them,
everything is fine (no dropped packets, no other errors.) Here's
output from 'netstat':

Destination       Gateway            Flags
default           75.57.127.254      UG
75.57.127.254     75.57.126.147      UH
127.0.0.1         127.0.0.1          UH
192.168.1.0/24    link#1             U

I also started to think maybe AT&T was blocking Wii traffic, but a
neighbor with DSL was able to ping 125.199.254.49.

Am I overlooking a network diagnostic? How can I further pinpoint
where the failure lies? Has anyone else seen this?

I appreciate any help you can provide...

--
Rich

JID: rich@neswold.homeunix.net
AIM: rnezzy