Subject: Re: MacBook Pro w/NetBSD???
To: Paul Newhouse <newhouse@rockhead.com>
From: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan-epub.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/28/2007 01:19:29
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 15:53:27 -0700 (PDT)
Paul Newhouse <newhouse@rockhead.com> wrote:

> "Chavdar Ivanov" <ci4ic4@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  On 27/10/2007, Paul Newhouse <newhouse@rockhead.com> wrote:
>
> >  > Which leads me to another question.  Using Parallels (or Fusion)
> >  > can I get the MacBook to act as a router/firewall.  Connection to
> >  > the internet via modem or WiFi and providing a LAN to another system?
> >  > I'm doing this at home with Native NetBSD on i386 boxes, I'm wondering
> >  > about the MacBook since you (someone in this thread??) mentioned the
> >  > ethernet connection was a little funky.  I haven't gotten any feed back
> >  > from OS X groups about if the OS X on the MacBook can do this??
> >
> >  Although I have tested Parallels some times ago, I haven't done any
> >  trickery like that; I have done it (and actually doing it now up to a
> >  point), using VMware server running on W2K3 server - the host has two
> >  adapters; the [Net|Open]BSD VM connects to the one, which goes to the
> >  company DMZ; the host and the other machines connected to it's green
> >  i/f get the pf BSD firewall as it's gateway/DNS server etc, more or
> >  less obvious. I should imagine Parallels will let you do the same.
>
> I guess what I'm really asking is; does anyone know if the MacBook Pro
> was designed to overuse some components which would prohibit having
> the modem, WiFi and Ethernet all being connected at the same time to
> different networks??  In some way that would prevent the software (OS X,
> NetBSD, ...) from utilizing the interfaces, more or less, at the same
> time?

This is becoming progressively less about netbsd and more about parallels, so
we should really wrap this up.

I don't know about a PPP interface, but you should be able to create two virtual network devices
for a netbsd guest in parallels and bridge these  virtual nics each to a separate wired or wireless ethernet device in OSX. After that, you can make them route just they would with any
other netbsd box.

Parallels has a 30 day free trial. I'd suggest you get a copy and try it out as it seems pretty
likely that it will work, but it seems pretty unlikely that anyone will have exactly the same
setup you have in mind.

HW