Subject: Re: MacBook Pro w/NetBSD???
To: Paul Newhouse <newhouse@rockhead.com>
From: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan-epub.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/26/2007 13:45:53
On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 21:17:34 -0700
Paul Newhouse <newhouse@rockhead.com> wrote:

> Mark and Harry,
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> >  yes, it works just fine under parallels, although older versions of netbsd
> >  don't support the fake ethernet parallels provides. 3.1 and newer work just
> >  fine.
>
> EXCELLANT!!!
>
> 3.1 is no problem, it's what I'm running just about every where else (finally
> go off of 1.5 :).
>
> >  One caveat though, make sure you are using the latest version of parallels
> >  as I've had intermittent problems with the keyboard attaching at boot time
> >  with older versions.
>
> Latest version being?

I have one virtual system running 3.1, another running -current, and
another running the netbsd-4 branch.

> Will Parallels work for more than two OSes? (i.e. - NetBSD, OS X, XP)

yes

> Will NetBSD run off of a USB attached disk with Parallels?

yes. the "disk" for the parallels machine is just a file that osx manages. All
my virtual machine disks live on a fast, external firewire drive.

booting from a usb drive itself could be more painful -- I'm not even sure it's doable.
You can access filesystems on usb drives from parallels though, but even with the the latest
versions of parallels, it's not full usb 2 speed, e.g. only about 4MB/sec. Virtual drives are
much faster.

Harry Waddell