Subject: Re: Any way to update LFS system from cd
To: David Lord <netbsd@lordynet.org>
From: Zafer Aydogan <zafer@aydogan.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/25/2007 20:01:44
2007/10/25, David Lord <netbsd@lordynet.org>:

> I'd like to update my NetBSD 3 and 4 systems that use LFS from the
> NetBSD-4.0-rc3 cd.
>
> The Dell laptop doesn't have a fdd and neither network nor existing
> LFS filesystems are available from the cd boot.
>
> I've done build release on another system but a cd from this will
> have same problem. I can modify INSTALL_LAPTOP to provide kernel with
> required LFS and network support for creation of a custom boot cd,
> but I'm not sure if this will still work with sysinst. Is this likely
> to be ok and will sysinst then be able to use LFS partitions?
>
> Whilst I've previously had some success with a manual install of sets
> using a script, this has also too often left me with having to
> recover an unusable system whilst sysinst from a cd boot has so far
> always gone smoothly which is why it's my preferred method.
>

> David

You can use a livecd (e.g. www.jibbed.org) to untar your sets on your notebook.
If you untar all sets except etc.tgz, then it will be almost the same,
what sysinst does.
First copy the sets on your notebook, if they aren't already there,
then boot from the live cd, mount your lfs filesystem and untar your
sets to your targetroot.

Zafer.