Subject: Re: brace expansion and ksh?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/22/2007 01:15:29
On Sun, Oct 21, 2007 at 07:15:53PM -0400, James K. Lowden wrote:
>George Georgalis wrote:
>> (if someone knows how to make the home/end keys work from mac
>> xterm, that would be a big help)
>
>What does "work" mean?  When I press Fn + Left Arrow, the cursor goes to
>the beginning of the line....
>
>	$ echo $SHELL
>	/bin/bash

That is not on NetBSD? I was quite happy with bash
till I found zsh. That lasted till I found the
NetBSD port of ksh, which is very good.

In bash I used the following .inputrc so PC keyboard
keys (home/end) worked in both console and xterm:

# see 'bind' in bash(1)
# make the home and end keys work in xterm
"\e[H": beginning-of-line
"\e[F": end-of-line
# make the home and end keys work in console
"\e[1~": beginning-of-line
"\e[4~": end-of-line

oh, whooho, I got it. with these lines sourced from
a file or in .profile (you cannot enter the esc char
in a ksh shell), that's an esc char followed by two
normal characters.

bind '^[[H'=beginning-of-line
bind '^[[F'=end-of-line

bonus, the bindings work directly in a screen(1) session.

// George

--
George Georgalis, information system scientist <IXOYE><