Subject: Re: brace expansion and ksh?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@bigmac.stderr.spb.ru>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/19/2007 12:19:29
Pavel Cahyna <pavel@netbsd.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 01:55:00PM +0000, Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:
>> Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net> wrote:
>>
>> > Next I need to figure out PR 34724
>> > http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=34724
>> >
>> > I have ${PWD} in my PS1 so long current directories make it so I can't
>> > even see what I am typing. It is very inconvenient.
>>
>> I've read the PR and it's not quite clear to me what the complain is?
>>
>> | If your ksh command line becomes long, it often doesn't wrap around
>> | console to next line well
>>
>> What do you mean by "often" - that it wraps sometimes and not others?
>>
>> I normally use bash with "set horizontal-scroll-mode on" in .inputrc,
>> I tried ksh and it's very similar to what I'm used to except libedit
>> seems to scroll more agressively.
>
> How is libedit relevant? neither bash nor pdksh use it.

Ok, s/libedit/ksh lined editing/.

Re bash - I'm mentioning it as an example of a different line-editing
style (readline) for reference.  In case I was not clear, let me
reapeat:

>> | If your ksh command line becomes long, it often doesn't wrap around
>> | console to next line well

I don't understand what kind of behavior the above is supposed to
describe.  Ksh man page doesn't mention wrapping, only scrolling

       In these editing modes, if a line is longer that the screen
       width (see COLUMNS parameter), a >, + or < character is
       displayed in the last col- umn indicating that there are more
       characters after, before and after, or before the current
       position, respectively.  The line is scrolled horizontally as
       necessary.

I normally use bash with "set horizontal-scroll-mode on" in .inputrc.

I tried ksh and the scrolling behaviour i see with it is very similar
to what I'm used to with bash except that it seems to scroll more
agressively.

SY, Uwe
--
uwe@stderr.spb.ru                       |       Zu Grunde kommen