Subject: Problems with VPNC, resolv.conf and ip vs name
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Paul Newhouse <newhouse@rockhead.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/14/2007 18:30:50
I have VPNC running on a NetBSD firewall that is connected to my cable ip
provider.  /etc/resolv.conf is set to point first at the DNS provided at
the site that the VPN connects to.  If I telnet to hosts from that firewall
or from my primary things seem to work ok.  Nslookup works from either machine
as well.  Opera seems to work??  I get connected to where I intended.  From
my primary machine, where I have changed resolv.conf to point at the fake
space (10.n.n.n) DNS host (the default route goes to the cable firewall box
where the VPN is running) I have problems with FireFox (Deer Park).  If I
specify a host, which is at the other end of the VPN)  using it's name
("host.com") I can not see any packets to port 80 being generated by FireFox
on any interface.  If I specify the ip address it connects.  This doesn't work
for long, as soon as I pick a link it can't resolve the name.

Opera seems to work so I'm ignorant of how FireFox does name resolution.

So I rsh to the firewall and start firefox there (displaying on my primary
work machine) - same result.  I'm stymied as to what is (or is not) going on
with this, clues are appreciated.

TIA,
Paul N.