Subject: Re: brace expansion and ksh?
To: George Abdelmalik <gabdelmalik@avdat.com.au>
From: Woodchuck <marmot@pennswoods.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/12/2007 00:57:53
On Fri, 12 Oct 2007, George Abdelmalik wrote:

> On Friday 12 October 2007 12:14, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> >
> > I have ${PWD} in my PS1 so long current directories make it so I can't
> > even see what I am typing. It is very inconvenient.
>
> I too find it a little annoying. I often hit this issue with the configure
> line of packages which have many --enable or --with options. Never been
> bothered enough by it to try an fix it myself but would appreciate it very
> much if it was. If you come up with a patch that you'd like someone to try
> out then I'd be happy to.
>
> -
> george.

This little snippet in /etc/ksh.kshrc seems to work:

        #PROMPT="<$USER@$HOST:!>$PS1S"
        PPROMPT='$USER:$PWD:!'"$PS1S"
        #PPROMPT='<$USER@$HOST:$PWD:!>'"$PS1S"
+       PPROMPT='[${USER}@${HOST} `basename $PWD`]'"$PS1S"
        PS1=$PPROMPT

i.e. add the line with the +   Mind the quotes.

It attempts to mimic PS1="[\u@\h \W]\$ "

demo:

[root@jennifer root]#
[root@jennifer root]# echo $KSH_VERSION
@(#)PD KSH v5.2.14 99/07/13.2
[root@jennifer root]# cd /usr/pkgsrc/shells/pdksh/work/pdksh-5.2.14/
[root@jennifer pdksh-5.2.14]# cd
[root@jennifer root]#
[root@jennifer root]# uname -a
NetBSD jennifer.chuck 3.1_STABLE NetBSD 3.1_STABLE (GENERIC.MP.CGD) #5: Fri May 11 14:20:00 EDT 2007  root@jennifer.chuck:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC.MP.CGD i386
[root@jennifer root]#

Dave
--
      You don't have to like businessmen to like capitalism.