Subject: Re: getty repeating too quickly on port `/dev/console', sleeping
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Gary Thorpe <gathorpe79@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/11/2007 22:10:28
--- David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 08:23:00PM -0400, Gary Thorpe wrote:
> >
> > I think the problem is that /dev/console and /dev/ttyE0 are really
> the
> > same physical hardware on your machine. That is, putting a getty on
> > both when the console physically corresponds to ttyE0 will cause
> > problems because two gettys will try to grab the same device and
> one or
> > both will have problems.
>
> There is a similar problem if you try to run the xconsole window (or
> anything else that steals writes to /dev/console).

I think you are right and I had trouble with this also (also worked
around by disabling a getty on /dev/console--maybe the guide should
note this problem as well).

> If that is the problem then running the getty on /dev/constty should
> help (which is how sysinst manages to catch writes /dev/console
> (including
> kernel messages) and insert them into the curses output).
> I've actually wondered whether it is possibly to exclude writes to
> the
> programs controlling terminal from the 'console output stealing
> code',
> and whether that would help!
>
> 	David
>
> --
> David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk

I see a constty in the /dev directory, but is it documented anywhere (I
had not heard of it until now)? What can it be used for besides
this/what is it intended for?