Subject: Re: getty repeating too quickly on port `/dev/console', sleeping
To: Gary Thorpe <gathorpe79@yahoo.com>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/11/2007 20:34:49
On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 08:23:00PM -0400, Gary Thorpe wrote:

> I think the problem is that /dev/console and /dev/ttyE0 are really the
> same physical hardware on your machine. That is, putting a getty on
> both when the console physically corresponds to ttyE0 will cause
> problems because two gettys will try to grab the same device and one or
> both will have problems.

There is a similar problem if you try to run the xconsole window (or
anything else that steals writes to /dev/console).

If that is the problem then running the getty on /dev/constty should
help (which is how sysinst manages to catch writes /dev/console (including
kernel messages) and insert them into the curses output).
I've actually wondered whether it is possibly to exclude writes to the
programs controlling terminal from the 'console output stealing code',
and whether that would help!

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk