Subject: Re: getty repeating too quickly on port `/dev/console', sleeping
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Gary Thorpe <gathorpe79@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/10/2007 20:23:00
--- Aleksey Cheusov <cheusov@tut.by> wrote:

> >    login: Oct  8 00:00:36 init: getty repeating too quickly on port
> `/dev/console', sleeping
>
> Ok. Web known everything, well, almost everything.
>
> I've fixed this by
> changing
>     console "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         wsvt25  on secure
>     console "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         wsvt25  off secure
>
> Can anybody extend section 8.10 of NetBSD guide?
> http://netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-x.html#chap-x-xdm
>
> --
> Best regards, Aleksey Cheusov.

Hi,

I think the problem is that /dev/console and /dev/ttyE0 are really the
same physical hardware on your machine. That is, putting a getty on
both when the console physically corresponds to ttyE0 will cause
problems because two gettys will try to grab the same device and one or
both will have problems. Similar problems will occur if the machine is
headless and you have a getty entry for /dev/console and /dev/tty00 for
example.

My soultion was also to exclude a getty for /dev/console: this way you
can chage the console device when/if necessary without having to change
this file and console messages will still go to the right place. Also,
you will still be able to login on all terminals regardless.
Disadvantage: log ons to the 'console' device will not appear in
lastlog etc. as being on the 'console' (who cares?).

I agree the guide should be extended and this problem explained: you
need to choose either a getty for between /dev/console and the relevant
/dev/ttyEX or /dev/ttyXX terminals.