Subject: Re: Laptop Dock and rescanning USB?
To: Phil Nelson <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
From: Brian de Alwis <bsd@cs.ubc.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/02/2007 14:17:12
I have a T60 dock (the Advanced Mini-Dock, with the DVI) and noticed
the same thing.  I never complained as I found the dock-based USB
ports to be a bit iffy: the first sync of my pilot would work fine,
but any subsequent syncs would hang or quickly abort.  (Just verified
that this is still the case.)

I also found that ejecting the laptop was generally ok, providing
I wasn't using the DVI, but reinserting the laptop into the dock
caused bad stuff.  I don't recall what the bad stuff actually was,
but it was bad enough that I've never done it again :-)

I never got around to complaining about these issues though as I
use the dock for the DVI extender, and don't remove the laptop
except when powering down to go home.

The dock appears as an ACPI-connected device:

    GDCK (IBM0079) at acpi0 not configured

I suspect one would have to write some code to process events and
DTRT.  I started looking at it, but lacked the knowledge and time.

Brian.

--
  Brian de Alwis | Software Practices Lab | UBC | http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~bsd/
      "Amusement to an observing mind is study." - Benjamin Disraeli