Subject: Can't make VPNC work
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Paul Newhouse <newhouse@rockhead.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/30/2007 15:27:18
NetBSD 3.1 - 2007Q2

I've been trying to get vpnc to start up the connection.
It never says:

   VPNC started in background (pid: 16196)...

If I run it with debug it always stalls with:

   ext_type: 0d
   length: 0014
   ke.data: 12f4f78c 453169a9 701d9fe2 74cc01a0
   DONE PARSING PAYLOAD type: 0d
   PARSING PAYLOAD type: 0d
   next_type: 00
   length: 0014
   ke.data: 90eb8391 3ebc626e 086331b4 bc427baf
   DONE PARSING PAYLOAD type: 0d
   PARSING PAYLOAD type: 00
   PARSE_OK

I have tun0 - tun3 available.  The vpnc-script gets
called but, only for pre-init and it doesn't get any
parameters other than "reason".

The connection is behind a NetBSD firewall machine.
I can't get this to work on the firewall, let alone
any machine behind it (on the LAN side).  Using tcpdump
I don't see any traffic being generated to go to the
gateway host.

Can somebody point me at some clues?

I'm guessing that I don't know how to configure the tun0
device correctly.

The man page talks about "vpnc-connect" but, it didn't
get loaded with the package.

A walk-through online description would be good.

I've been looking at:

  http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200409/vpnc.html

I think I'm probably missing some tidbit of information ...
or I'm totally lost???

TIA,
Paul N.