Subject: pckbd disappears if serial bootblock used, i386, 3.0 release
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Gary Thorpe <gathorpe79@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/04/2007 16:01:00
Hi,

I have a headless machine that ordinarily does not have a keyboard or
monitor attached and so I installed the serial bootblocks (using
installboot) to use a serial console. However, occasionally I do plan
to attach keyboard/monitor and I wouldn't mind using then to login or
use X etc.

However, with a serial console, the keyboard, pckbd0, does not get
probed and is missing from dmesg. I changed the boot blocks back to the
'pc' setting and the keyboard now gets probed and is usable (in both
cases, the same kernel is used and only the boot blocks changed). In
either case, the keyboard is usable in the BIOS etc. so there is no
physical connection problem or defect in the keyboard itself.

Is there any way to get this to not happen? Is this a known issue or
should I file a PR or post this to another list like tech-kern?

Regards,
Gary Thorpe