Subject: RE: Problems building cross tools
To: Oliver Gould <ogould@olix0r.net>
From: Gerald Lee <glee@force10networks.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/17/2007 09:38:49
Bob - glee answers himself
Oliver Gould replyed:
>>On 2007-07-10 09:30 -0500, Gerald Lee wrote:
>>> 	I'm trying to build from an anonymous cvs tree using the
>>> netbsd-4 label.  I am trying to build purely as a user (no root
access),
=20
>>> 	./build.sh -a powerpc -m evbppc -D
>>> /work/sw/glee/NetBSD_4/cross-dest -O
/work/sw/glee/NetBSD_4/cross-obj
-T
>>> /work/sw/glee/NetBSD_4/cross-tools -V BLDX11=3Dno tools

>> I have no idea if this would affect the behavior you describe, but
you
>> at least need to pass the -U flag to build.sh if you are building as
>> mortal.

> This happens with -U as well.  The only thing I can think of is that
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH is over-ridden at some point.  I did a search of the
> script (which is the tip of the iceberg I know), and didn't see any
> reference to the environment variable.  I haven't seen any difference
> using -U at all -- doesn't mean I wouldn't, that may come after the
> cross tools are built.

  A bit more background, I did try the command from the log in the
directory
  from a login shell (as opposed to embedded in make), and the command
works
  without failing to find the library.

  I added an echo of LD_LIBRARY_PATH to Makefile.in in the gcc build,
and it
  indicates that the shell variable is null.  I (foolishly tried to add
an
  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=3D/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib to the makefile
forgetting
  that each line is a sub-shell.  However, I added that line to the line
  used by the $(SPECS) target (gnu/dist/gcc4/gcc/Makefile.in), and it
works.

  Now that I have it working, I'd like to do it the "right" way.  How
should
  I specify the (not all that) different shared library path, and play
nice
  with build.sh?

> This is a background task for me, so it may be a while before I get
back
> to it.

>> - Oliver

  I know it isn't polite to talk to yourself with out a blue tooth ear
bud,
  but wanted to at least close the loop on what I found out...
=20
Thanks once more
- bob