Subject: Re: list of supported WLAN cards
To: David Wetzel <dave@turbocat.de>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/15/2007 08:38:32
David Wetzel <dave@turbocat.de> writes:

> where do I find a list of currently supported WLAN cards?  Most
> dealers just tell me the brand name and model, but don't know the
> chipset.  It would be nice to have one readme/man page that describes
> all into one place.

I'm not aware of a central list.

Last time I was in a situation that sounds like yours, I did something
more or less like:

apropos 802.11 | egrep driver

and printed all the man pages to take to the store.  This approach has
two problems, neither of which are all that easy to solve:

1) Some cards work even though they aren't in the man page.  Please
   send-pr if you find a new one, and for 802.11 feel free to call the
   PR to my attention.

2) As I'm sure you know, manufacturers change cards without changing the
   customer-visible part number.  This can sometimes be worked around by
   looking at the revision #, or perhaps the FCC ID.

So that's not a central list, but as close as is likely to happen.
Perhaps one could write a script to extract just the hardware section
from all man pages, and we could have a list of man pages for each class
(802.11, Ethernet, SATA, etc.).