Subject: Re: switching a full system from an hd to another..
To: Luca Sironi <luca@sironi.tk>
From: William Fletcher <wfletcher@omina.co.za>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/08/2007 12:53:19
--BFr4k1xMPmh2dgKl

http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-rf.html

It is a bit intense though. Might be easier using that ghost
tool that was recommended by somebody else.

You'll do the same kind of stuff...=20

fdisk -0ua /dev/rwd1d
disklabel -r -e -I wd1

Create /tmp/raid0.conf...=20

***
START array
1 2 0

START disks
/dev/wd1a
absent

START layout
128 1 1 1

START queue
fifo 100
***

raidctl -v -C /tmp/raid0.conf raid0
raidctl -v -I `date +%Y%m%d%H%M` raid0
raidctl -v -i raid0
raidctl -v -s raid0=20
disklabel -r -e -I raid0

newfs all the raid0(a, e, f), etc partitions.

copy partitions with: pax -v -X -rw -pe /usr /mnt, etc, etc, etc.

raidctl -v -A root raid0

swapoff=3DYES into raid's /etc/rc.conf and normal /etc/rc.conf

Modify raid's /etc/fstab to be raid0 instead of wd0.

You set the drive bootable with installboot (if you haven't).

And then you should be able to boot into your RAID.

Then you buy another drive and add it in as soon as possible.

PS. Double check everything here against the documentation. I might have mi=
ssed something.

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 12:43:34PM +0200, Luca Sironi wrote:
> 2007/5/8, William Fletcher <wfletcher@omina.co.za>:
> >On second thoughts, if this is for a drive failure, you should consider
> >putting the disk into a one drive RAID frame, and buy a new drive
> >next week or something. That way next time a drive fails you won't
> >have to do this, you'll just buy a new drive and make it part of
> >the RAID frame.
> >
> >Want instructions on how to do that?
> >
>=20
> You're very kind and iI would love to.