Subject: Re: An old unix Issue the Delete key how do you fix it
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/06/2007 14:24:55
Dieter wrote:
> > But if you're on a PC, then in firefox etc. the backspace key will
> > delete left, and you can ignore the Delete key, and that's pretty much
> > the right thing even though the keys are mislabled.
>
> Broken broken broken
>
> In theory, we should have:
>   "backspace" -> move cursor one position to the left.  Do not draw
>   anything.  Do not erase/delete. "delete" -> move cursor one position
>   to the left, deleting (erasing) whatever was there.
>
> I can usually live with the backspace key acting like delete, since the
> leftarrow key usually provides the backspace function.

I just consulted 1,000,000 of my closest friends, who all said that that
key to the right of F12 and above the backslash, usually labelled
"Backspace", is always without exception expected to do a destructive
left-delete.  Some even remember a similar key, differently labelled but
in the same basic position, on the VT-100.  One ancient fellow remembers
the Letterwriter 100 printed "X \X' when the sequence "X delete" was
typed, to indicate "X" had been removed from the line.

I suspect that key was put where it is for the same reason ESC is where it
is: because it's frequently needed, because it's easy to hit and most
human beings make frequent mistakes when typing.

We're not hung up on the label on the keycap and we don't know anything
about scan codes or whatever; we focus on its position and function.  We
think that key should only ever cause a destructive backspace.

Don't you want to join us?  C'mon, be a pal!

--jkl