Subject: Re: Is a color console possible under wscons?
To: NetBSD-help <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Peter Bex <Peter.Bex@xs4all.nl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/27/2007 19:41:45
--zGQnqpIoxlsbsOfg

On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 08:26:26AM -0700, mowestusa wrote:
> One of the programs I wanted to run from the console
> is wyrd, a calendar program that is CLI ncurses based
> and uses remind.
>=20
> When trying to start it throws up the error:
> Fatal error: exception Failure("Your terminal emulator
> does not support color.")"

Try setting the environment variable $TERM to one of 'wsvt25', 'ansi'
or, if all else fails, 'screen' or 'xterm'.

In Bourne shells, this is done with
export TERM=3Dwsvt25
In CSH-derivatives, this is done with
setenv TERM wsvt25

> Currently I believe wscons has given me 4 virtual
> terminals and all of them are running what I believe
> is the default 80x25 in vt100 or vt220.

This is correct.

> Is there anyway to get a "full screen" virtual
> terminal and in color?

You can also use the recently added VESA framebuffer support, but
I believe you will need NetBSD 4.0 BETA or -CURRENT for that.

This information has been added to the NetBSD Guide's section on wscons
during the recent Documentation Hackathon.  See
http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-cons.html#chap-cons-wscons-wsdisplay

Hope this helps,
Peter
--=20