Subject: Re: pcmcia0: card appears to have bogus cis for PCI1420 PC Card Controller
To: David Lord <netbsd@lordynet.org>
From: Radu-Cristian FOTESCU <beranger5ca@yahoo.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/24/2007 02:46:17
--- David Lord <netbsd@lordynet.org> wrote:

> You should also be able to locate alternative kernels on the install
> cd, eg: /i386/binary/kernel/netbsd-GENERIC_LAPTOP.gz that you can
> copy to / and gunzip. It's safest to keep existing kernel in place
> and interupt bootup and specify a new kernel there until you're sure
> it will boot ok.

Thank you, this is the most explicit help possible! I'll try it, and see
whether there are some other showstoppers or not with NetBSD.

When I have told to people that I'll try NetBSD instead of FreeBSD (and I
know some OpenBSD fans too), I was asked: "why? why NetBSD? what does it have
that other *BSD flavors have not for the i386 platform?".

I still don't know the answer.

Thanks,
R-C