Subject: Re: pcmcia0: card appears to have bogus cis for PCI1420 PC Card Controller
To: Radu-Cristian FOTESCU <beranger5ca@yahoo.ca>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/23/2007 08:24:10
Radu-Cristian FOTESCU <beranger5ca@yahoo.ca> writes:

> --- Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com> wrote:
>> Is the card cardbus or pcmcia?
>
> It's CardBus II/III, 32-bit, but anyway, CardBus _is_ a form of PCMCIA too!
> (just a newer one, and some product datasheets list it this way: "PCMCIA Type
> II/III 32-bit Cardbus")

The terms are confusing.  As used in the NetBSD community (and I think
this usage is pretty normal):

  PC Card:	either 16 or 32 bit cards  - denotes the shape

  PCMCIA	16 bit cards, so this is really PCMCIA 2.0.  These are
                sort of like ISA cards.

  Cardbus       32 bit cards.   These are very much like PCI cards.

It's true that technically PCMCIA includes cardbus (as 5.0), but that's
not common usage.

I asked because the problems one encounters with both types are
different.

>> FIXUP options in GENERIC_LAPTOP, and see cardbus(4) about
>> RBUS_MIN_START.
>
> When I am networkless and I can't add anything to the system, what am I
> supposed to do?! I was expecting from the default kernel to be... err... more
> generic, not to break things.

Do you have a USB disk?   Try the GENERIC_LAPTOP kernel rather than
GENERIC.

> My question was: is the support for the Texas Instruments PCI1420 really
> broken in the default NetBSD kernel?!

That's not the least bit clear.  You could have a laptop with a broken
bios that fails to set up interrupts correctly.

Look at your dmesg to see if the cardbus bridge was attached.  It will
show up as cbb0 if so.  If not, you may see something like 'cbb0 not
configured because of unconfigured interrupt'.