Subject: Best Way to Install Software without Internet Connection
To: NetBSD-help <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: mowestusa <mowestusa@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/21/2007 18:53:35
I have an old Pentium 166 with 32 megs of ram. I would
like to install NetBSD on this machine, but I'm
wondering how I would go about adding programs after
the install.

I would like things like the following:
vim, asciidoc, ncftp, bash, php, python, webserver,
and other text based tools.

It seems like pkgscr would not be the best without an
internet connection on the computer. It also would
take a while to compile on such an old machine.

So I was wondering about the binary packages that are
available. Can one download the whole lot and fit them
on a CD and simple install from there?

Are there other options that I have not considered?

I'm sure this issue has come up before, but I was just
wondering what the best course of action would be. The
last time I tried installing NetBSD I had a computer
with a DSL connection. I was trying to decide between
NetBSD or Slackware, since with Slackware you get a
rather complete system after the install, and you also
could just download packages and install them manually
along with their dependencies.

Thank you for any direction or documentation you could
point out to this newbie.

Steve
mowestusa@yahoo.com