Subject: modular xorg and startx
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Limbach <LimbachB@web.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/21/2007 21:02:27
Hello everyone,

I assume this one is slightly off topic to netbsd, but maybe
some of you already have had my experience and can point to
a clue.

I installed modular xorg, pretty much after:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-users/2007/04/12/0007.html

But I cannot get X to run, it seems to me that I have some
issues, depending on how I want to start it.

Basically I want to use startx, as I knew before using
Xfree86 or monolithic xorg.

Depending if I start it as a user bernd:wheel I am just able
to manage to get the background and a working mouse pointer,
but no windows. When using Ctrl-Alt-Backspace I can read:

--------8<--------
xauth: error inlocking authority file
/home/bernd/.Xauthority (it's empty!)
--------8<--------

in Xorg.0.log I can see:

--------8<--------
(**) RADEON(0): RADEONPreInit (I assume it probes right)
..
AUDIT: Sat <timestamp> 10137 X: client 1 rejected from localhost
--------8<--------

The latter sounds strange. From reading I understand that
either the command "X" is used to start the Xserver or that
in .xserverrc the name of the Xserver can be put.
Unfortunately I cannot "man X", no man page found, which
wonders me (was it "man 1 X"?).

"X" also should be a link to the real server fitting to my
graphic card. Modular X works with libraries as far as I
understand, so that seems to be not really useful here.

If I try startx as root, _sometimes_ I get the xterm windows
and xclock on the screen, but it looks like twm was not started.

I guess it is not related to NetBSD-current, but anyway:

- GENERIC_LAPTOP 4.99.16 as of 200703220002Z
- pkgsrc HEAD from a about a week ago
- ATI Mobility 9000 64MB RAM Gfx card
   in my Acer Travelmate 800
- DISPLAY is set to ":0.0"
- in mk.conf: X11_TYPE=modular

Maybe I am just standing in front of the solution, but I
cannot see it.

Any hints or pointers where to look at?

Thanks in advance, Bernd