Subject: Re: OT: rsync issues
To: DataZap <az@datazap.net>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/13/2007 20:57:34
> I just updated rsync on both of my servers and deleted all the files off
> the backup. I was then able to backup the main server without any
> problems, but when I went to run rsync again, it gives me an out of memory
> error. What I would like to do is write a shell script that would call
> rsync, but only have it backup a small part of the files at a time until
> all of the files are backed up. I have not been able to find an example of
> this. Does anyone have any ideas on how this could be done?

Hi Al,

Instead of writing a script to figure out what needs to be copied, try
splitting it up into a few different rsync jobs for different parts of the
directory hierarchy.

Do find a few times piped through "wc -l" to get a count of the number of
files in each of your different places.

If you really want to script it, use find of -type d (directory) with the
-mmin primary to build a list and then maybe use just that (but be careful
to get the target correct so test rsync a lot with --dry-run).

  Jeremy C. Reed