Subject: Re: parallel printer is very slow (and mouse hangs)
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/04/2007 09:45:13
On Thu, 30 Nov 2006, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> Printing via parallel on my laptop is very slow. Maybe taking over 5
> minutes before it will even print.
>
> It prints fast once it starts. (About one or two seconds to print a page.)
>
> Normally my Brother HL5150D can print about 20 pages per minute. But that
> was when it was plugged into another computer (also running NetBSD).
>
> I use lpa3 and lpt3 but no noticable change.
>
> My hardware:
>
> acpi0 at mainbus0: Advanced Configuration and Power Interface
> acpi0: using Intel ACPI CA subsystem version 20060217
> acpi0: X/RSDT: OemId <AMIINT,VIA_P6  ,00000010>, AslId <MSFT,00000097>
> acpi0: SCI interrupting at int 9
> acpi0: fixed-feature power button present
>
> lpt3 at acpi0 (PNP0401)
> lpt3: io 0x378-0x37f,0x778-0x77b irq 7 drq 3
>

> Also when printing, my mouse hangs temporarily. That is probably related.
>
> This is NetBSD/i386 3.99.24.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeremy C. Reed
>
> p.s. If you need more details, please let me know.

Replying to my old email ...

I never heard back and I didn't file a problem report as I don't know if
the problem is specific to my hardware.

For the archives ... Today, I plugged in a USB cable and got:

ulpt0 at uhub2 port 2 configuration 1 interface 0
ulpt0: Brother HL-5150D, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 3, iclass 7/1
ulpt0: using bi-directional mode

So now I am using /dev/ulpt0 instead of /dev/lpt3 and now I can print a
page in less than ten seconds instead of waiting 5 to 20 minutes (per
page).

  Jeremy C. Reed