Subject: PDC sata timeouts.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: William Fletcher <wfletcher@omina.co.za>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/21/2007 02:30:18
--HcCUi/BBc2DxcLid

Hi list,

I've been trying to build a raid(frame) onto two 160G Hitachi hard drives,
but always end up with "lost interrupt" messages.

I'm using the pdcsata driver, with a "Promise PDC20775 SATA300 controller".

The following are some of the messages displayed in the dmesg:
pdcsata0:0:0: device timeout, c_bcount=3D65536, c_skip0
wd2a: device timeout reading fsbn 26698048 of 26698048-26698175 (wd2 bn 266=
98111; cn 26486 tn 3 sn 34), retrying
pdcsata0:0:0: lost interrupt
        type: ata tc_bcount: 65536 tc_skip: 0

The machine in question is running NetBSD 3.1, with a fresh installation.

I've tried two identical motherboards, and two identical PDC20775 controlle=
rs,
different memory and different CPUs, Different SATA cables and different dr=
ives (300G).

I'm pretty sure the hardware isn't the problem.

This problem doesn't seem to occur on machines with only 80 gig hard drives,
it appears to be tied in with the bigger 160 gigs, since I have two machines
in production with 80 gig Hitachi drives and identical PDC20775 controllers,
I reconstructed the RAID on one to check, and used its motherboard with the
160Gs to see if I was perhaps losing my mind.

Please help, the voices in my head are growing louder, I don't know how long
I can contain them anymore.

Thank you all very much in advance.

--=20
Omina Solutions  | http://omina.co.za | (012) Ph. 664-2480 F. 664-2474=20