Subject: Re: HELP with X display
To: Paul Newhouse <newhouse@rockhead.com>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/20/2007 09:08:03
See if it's listening at all on TCP/6000.

netstat -tan | egrep -i 6000

Also check for a socket in /tmp or /var/tmp

~BAS

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Paul Newhouse wrote:

> NetBSD pimin 3.0.1 NetBSD 3.0.1 (PIMIN.MP) #0: Sun Sep 10 20:06:49 PDT 2006  root@bigbox.rockhead.com:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/PIMIN.MP i386
>

> After running as expected for weeks I suddenly get this error:
>
>   pimin[newhouse]: xterm
>   Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
>   Xlib: No protocol specified
>
>   xterm Xt error: Can't open display: :0.0
>   pimin[newhouse]: echo $DISPLAY
>   :0.0
>   pimin[newhouse]: xhost +
>   Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
>   Xlib: No protocol specified
>
>   xhost:  unable to open display ":0.0"
>
> Is there some way to recover, other than restarting X?
>
> TIA,
> Paul

l8*
 	-lava (Brian A. Seklecki - Pittsburgh, PA, USA)
 	       http://www.spiritual-machines.org/

"...from back in the heady days when "helpdesk" meant nothing, "diskquota"
meant everything, and lives could be bought and sold for a couple of pages
of laser printout - and frequently were."