Subject: Re: Booting from NTFS?
To: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/06/2007 18:27:44
On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 10:15:33AM +0000, Stephen Borrill wrote:
> Is there anyway to boot a kernel (with integral ramdisk, I'm not asking
> for root on ntfs!) from NTFS? i.e. drop a directory of files including a
> kernel into your drive C:\, edit boot.ini and then get the option of
> booting the kernel. Would this require basic ntfs support to be hammered
> into libsa?

Almost certainly, and I'm not sure how easy it would be.

Maybe the windows boot manager is capable of copying very large files
to 0x7c00 - but I suspect the kernel is far too bit for that.

You can boot from FAT - including some USB sticks without having to
remake the FAT16 filesystem.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk