Subject: Re: HELP w/SATA addon controller
To: Jason White <jdwhite@menelos.com>
From: Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/23/2007 16:30:00
On Feb 23, 2007, at 4:17 PM, Jason White wrote:
>> I'm looking for a simple 2 port card that works with NetBSD.
>> I'm hoping someone can recommend some brand name models (I have
>> a hard time figuring out what chips are in some of these products).
>
>   The Silicon Image 3112 (two port) and 3114 (four port) cards are
> supported.
>   Searching by chipset number or chipset name on newegg.com and
> came up with
>   a couple, one of them being:

Watch out for that chipset...it has some significant hardware
problems which affect large data transfers and can result in data
corruption unless certain workarounds are implemented.  These
workarounds reduce performance...the SilI 3124 or later chipsets are
better, but not great.

3ware and Promise are likely to be more reliable SATA controllers,
especially if you want to use them in RAID configurations.

--
-Chuck