Subject: Re: tpb with thinkpad
To: Ulrich Etile <chets@netbsd-fr.org>
From: Sverre Froyen <sverre@viewmark.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/20/2007 17:25:14
On Monday 19 February 2007, Ulrich Etile wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> I'm owner of a Thinkpad T23 and I wanted install tpb from
> pkgsrc/sysutils/tpb/ which allows to active the OSD
> It compile correcty but when I want to use tpb, it says :
>
> Unable to open device /dev/nvram: No such file or directory
>

> How can I create the nvram device ?

Assuming you are running NetBSD, you cannot.

When I looked at the same issue a couple of years ago, I discovered that
NetBSD does not have this device.   I did find some code that looked like it
could be ported to NetBSD but decided that it was not worth the effort.  See:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-help/2004/09/11/0004.html

I thought I saw a posting very recently that described a new device that
looked relevant but now I cannot find it.

It seems to me that the tpb package should be labeled as "not for NetBSD".

Sverre