Subject: Re: fonts confusion, openoffice/linux and Xorg
To: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
From: Brian de Alwis <bsd@cs.ubc.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/13/2007 14:14:56
I spent hours trying to figure out the right order of directories
to include, and still ended up with bitmapped fonts being selected
on occasion.  And then I stumbled across this solution.

Assuming you're generally using apps using fontconfig (anything
using GTK 2, and I believe QT3, or the new X libraries), add a
directive like the following to your .fonts.conf:

    <include ignore_missing="yes">/usr/pkg/etc/fontconfig/conf.d/no-bitmaps.conf</include>

(or the appropriate location of the no-bitmaps.conf)  This will
cause bitmap fonts to be rejected.  Since doing this, my setup has
been great.  You'll still need the directories, but you'll always
being using hinted/scaled fonts.

(If you're running the shipped XFree86, you'll also need to replace
the /usr/X11R6/lib/libfontconfig.so* with links to the pkgsrc
version; the X11R6 version is older and doesn't support selectfont /
rejectfont / acceptfont.)

Brian.

--
  Brian de Alwis | Software Practices Lab | UBC | http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~bsd/
      "Amusement to an observing mind is study." - Benjamin Disraeli