Subject: Smart card device support!
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Marc Tooley <netbsdmlpostNO@SPAM.quake.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/23/2007 21:00:22
Okay; so after running what I think was an exhaustive search for
information about drivers on NetBSD for any SmartCard device (those
credit-card-sized devices with the microprocessors built-in) I thought
I'd try one last-ditch run at the mailing list to find out if anyone
here has actually gotten smartcards of any sort working under NetBSD.

I am so far aware of OpenBSD's gpr(4) which implements an apparently
"small set" of operations for the GemPlus GPR400 card reader.

I'm also aware of OpenBSD's sectok, libsectok, and OpenSSH's primitive
smartcard support.

I found the Center for Information Technology Integration's ISO7816
interface bits here that appear to support some Argos stuff:

http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/smartcard/sc7816.html

I understand the Shark port has some kind of scr driver for a reader
I've never heard of before (which doesn't help me much (does it?)
because I'm on x86_64 or i386 hardware.)

I know there are a tonne of smartcard devices out there but support
for them on Open Source platforms (aside from Linux) appears to be
lacking. Aside from the above, is there some technology or software
that I'm just not aware of?

Thanks in advance,
Marc