Subject: Re: pthread - lwp - process
To: aalu paneer <aalu.paneer@gmail.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/20/2007 15:59:51
On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 07:58:12PM +0530, aalu paneer wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Can someone help me understand in broad overview the similarity and
> difference between the following in context of NetBSD:
>
> 1. Thread created using pthread_create()
> 2. LWP
> 3. Process
>
> I am trying to understand thread and lwp support in NetBSD. Any
> related information is welcome!

I'm not sure there's much differences betweel threads and LWP.
What we call LWP is a thread in NetBSD.
A process is running program. 2 processes don't share the same
address space, unlike threads. A process can have several threads.

You may want to have a look at fork and pthread manual pages.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>