Subject: Re: make release abends with "*** Error code 1"
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Woodchuck <djv@bedford.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/20/2007 09:11:47
On Sat, 20 Jan 2007, David Laight wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 09:44:50PM -0500, Woodchuck wrote:
>>
>> *** Error code 1
>
> Unfortunately it isn't easy to see exactly where that is failing!

I've reformatted it to be readable, but won't post it out of
sanity considertaions.

> The 'mtree' part is generating its 'usual' output to the screen.

But might have abended after generating output.  But I fixed the
"&" bug in mtree, repeated the build.sh drill, and it still squawked
and died.

> So it is likely to be the 'awk ... | sh -e' part.

I agree with you and Perry at this point.

> My guess is that something in the environment, or some unexpected version
> of a standard utility program, is causing grief.

That machine is as vanilla as it gets.  It's been used for building
source and *nothing* else, except for experiments with the (very
nice, BTW) cryptographic file system layer, so the kernel I call
GENERIC has the single change of adding 4 cgd devices.  There are a few
packages installed, but I believe them innocent.

> The commands are in src/distrib/common/Makefile.image you probably need
> to edit them slightly to find out what is wrong.

Yeah.

> I'd try an extra 'echo' after the mtree line, 'tee' the awk output into
> a temporary file. If all else fails add -x to the 'sh -e' command.

These are good ideas, and should be enough to snag the problem.

Right now, I said "let's start over", so I removed /usr/obj/*,
scoured the environment, and am in the middle now of a "vanilla"
build.sh with null DESTDIR and RELEASEDIR and null MKUPDATE.  This
should install to /, as I understand it.  (build.sh is new to me
and I am not operating at the "instinctive" level yet with it.).

We'll see what happens.  Sometime Sunday evening, I'll probably be
done with the first build, reboot and try the build.sh -u -U release
stunt again. (The machine in question is a Pentium Pro 200MHz with
only around 150MB memory, so it really spanks the swap partition
sometimes.)

I am reluctant to install from a "DESTDIR" using "build.sh"  on a
running system, because I have the impression from the docs that
this would overwrite things in /etc and elsewhere, unlike the
old "make install" from /usr/src.

Dave
--
         In each of us, there burns a soul of a woodchuck.
         In every generation a few are chosen to prove it.