Subject: Re: make release abends with "*** Error code 1"
To: Woodchuck <djv@bedford.net>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/19/2007 20:09:00
Woodchuck <djv@bedford.net> writes:
> On Fri, 19 Jan 2007, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>
>> Woodchuck <djv@bedford.net> writes:
>>> On this machine: NetBSD jezebel.chuck 3.1_STABLE NetBSD 3.1_STABLE
>>> (GENERIC) #0:
>>> 	Wed Jan 17 15:08:30 EST 2007
>>>
>>> the commands:
>>> cd /usr/src
>>> make release 2>&1 | tee /home/make.out
>>>
>>> are failing.  This error is repeatable.
>>
>> I'd suggest using build.sh instead of "make release". It also looks
>> like you may be missing some of the error message information, though
>> I'm not sure why.
>>
>> Perry
>
> Trust me, the sample command above (make release 2>...) is *cut
> and pasted* from the command history, and the total output put up
> at the website is unedited.
>
> Googling various archives for Net- Free- and OpenBSD show that your
> response is a typical one going back several years ;-), namely
> "Where are the error messages?" And indeed I share your mystification
> about that.  I have the feeling that there is a *bug* somewhere,

I do builds all the time -- I've probably done several hundred -- and
I don't generally have this problem when things error out. The only
time I've seen error messages "vanish" this way is when I fail to do a
make clean before re-building, and that usually only happens if I'm
not using build.sh.

> script, called by make, which is "stingy" with information, or that
> it is invoked with 2>/dev/null, as is sometimes done by the "hurried"
> programmer.

You can grep through our source tree -- that's not happening here.

> I suspect mtree, the command that seemed to have most recently
> executed.  A cursory inspection of the source in
> /usr/src/usr.sbin/mtree/mtree.c shows this bit of code near the
> end:
>
> 	status = verify();
> 	if (Uflag & (status == MISMATCHEXIT))
> 		status = 0;
> 	exit(status);
> }
>
> I feel like putting in a spoiler gap here, so that readers could
> try to "spot that bug", but I won't ;-)

That does indeed look like a bug -- thank you for spotting it -- but I
suspect that is not, in fact, what is causing your issue. In any case,
I'll see about fixing it.

Perry